southwest salad with grilled pork
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
ready in: 25 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 14 oz. each
- 2 limes for juice and zest
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of cayenne pepper or to taste
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (1 lb. total)
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 can (15 oz.) whole kernel golden corn, no salt added, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions or diced onions
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a measuring cup, combine lime juice and zest, oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper. Pour 1/4 cup into a separate container, cover and refrigerate.
- Place pork in a shallow glass or ceramic baking dish and spoon remaining marinade over chops, turning to coat both sides. Cover and marinate 30 minutes at room temperature or overnight in refrigerator.
- Preheat grill to medium hot. Grill chops on the hottest part of the grill 1–2 minutes per side. Move chops to edge of grill, cover and continue grilling, about 2 minutes per side, or until a meat thermometer registers 145°F.
- Transfer pork to a plate, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide lettuce, corn, onions and tomatoes among 4 plates. Slice pork into strips and arrange over salad. Drizzle each salad with a tablespoon of reserved marinade.
per serving: 390 calories, 21g fat, 6g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 7g sugars, 27g protein