spiced strawberry shortcakes
prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 2 hours ready in: 2 hours 10 minutes makes: 4 servings, 1 cake each
- 2 lbs. fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 individual angel food cakes
- Whipped cream
- Preheat an oven to 275°F. De-stem and hull the strawberries then cut into quarters.
- In a large bowl, combine cut strawberries, brown sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, red wine, pepper, cinnamon and cloves and gently mix.
- Pour strawberries and juices onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 2 hours, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve over top prepared shortcakes and top with whipped cream.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.