spicy sirloin kabobs
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 12 minutes
ready in: 27 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 1 kabob each
- 1½ lb. boneless sirloin steak, trimmed, cut into 1½- to 2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped*
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 large yellow squash, cut into 12 pieces
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 12 pieces
- 6 (10- to 12-inch) skewers†
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high (350°F–400°F). Place steak in a large bowl; set aside.
- Place cumin seeds in a small skillet. Cook over medium heat 1 minute or just until fragrant, stirring or shaking skillet occasionally. Add oil, jalapeño and garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice, cilantro (if desired), and salt to taste. Pour over steak cubes; toss to coat.
- Alternately thread steak, squash and bell pepper onto skewers. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill, covered, 10 minutes or to desired doneness, turning occasionally. Transfer to a platter, and serve.
- *Use caution when handling hot peppers. Wear disposable gloves or wash hands in hot, soapy water afterward.
- †If using wooden skewers, soak at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent burning.
- *If preparing for a gluten-free diet, make sure all ingredients are labeled gluten-free
per serving: 210 calories, 10g fat, 2g saturated fat, 55mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g sugars, 26g protein