starfruit upside-down cake
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 45 minutes
makes: 12 servings, 1 piece each
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 2 star fruit, cut horizontally into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 2 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- fresh pomegranate seeds
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 inch round cake pan. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly on bottom of cake pan. Arrange sliced star fruit as close together as possible, pressing down into sugar, then drizzle orange juice over star fruit.
- In a large bowl, combine canola oil and granulated sugar. Add egg and egg whites, beat well.
- In another bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, to canola oil mixture. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Pour batter over star fruit and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before inverting cake onto serving plate.
- Top the center of each star fruit with a pomegranate seed before serving.
per serving: 230 calories, 10g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 33g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 19g sugar, 3g protein