prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 25 minutes
makes: 12 servings, 1 cup each
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 Tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- whipped light cream
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with oil or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, and oil until crumbly. Remove and reserve 1/4 cup of crumbs for topping.
- In a 2-cup measure, combine buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda and egg and mix well. Pour liquid into flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each about half full. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon of reserved topping.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cakes slightly and remove from pan.
- Serve with sliced strawberries and a squirt of whipped cream.
per serving: 160 calories, 7g fat, 1g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 11g sugars, 3g protein