sweet potato and pear soup
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 1 hour
ready in: 1 hour and 10 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 1 cup each
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups ripe pears, peeled and cubed; extra pear for garnish (optional)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth*
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 package (8 oz.) low-fat plain yogurt (optional)
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook for about 10 minutes, or until soft but not browned.
- Add sweet potatoes, pears, chicken broth, vermouth, cinnamon stick, orange zest, and thyme. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 35-45 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- In a food processor or blender, puree vegetable mixture, in batches, until smooth.
- Return puree to saucepan and stir in nutmeg and pepper. Cook over medium heat until heated through.
- To serve, halve, core and cut an extra pear into 6 wedges for garnish. Cut each wedge to form a fan. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of yogurt, if desired. Garnish each serving with a pear fan and sprinkle with parsley.
Note: *Some chicken broths may not be gluten-free, be sure to check the label.
per serving: 170 calories, 2.5g fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 12g sugar, 5g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.