tasty taco mac and cheese
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 10 servings, 6.5 oz. each
- 1 pkg. (14 oz.) elbow macaroni
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced mild green chiles (optional)
- 1 pkg. (1 oz.) taco seasoning mix
- 10 (3/4 oz.) slices pasteurized processed cheese, torn into pieces
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large pot of salted water cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 4–5 minutes or until softened. Add beef; cook and stir 8–10 minutes or until browned, stirring to break up beef.
- Stir in tomatoes, green chiles (if desired), taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water; mix until well blended. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 3–4 minutes. Add cheese; cook and stir just until melted.
- Add pasta to skillet; stir gently to coat. Cook just until heated through. Spoon into individual bowls, and serve.
Per serving: 290 calories, 9g fat, 4g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 19g protein