vanilla chai cupcakes
prep time: 20 minutes cook time: 20 minutes ready in: 40 minutes makes: 18 servings, 1 cupcake each
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, divded
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 chai tea bags
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- container whipped vanilla frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoons cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it begins to simmer. Steep tea bags in the milk for 10 minutes, remove the tea bags and allow milk to cool to room temperature.
- Using a mixer, in a large bowl, cream together the butter, 1 cup of sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined and scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Alternate adding the flour and milk mixtures into the butter, starting and ending with the flour and mixing and scraping the bowl in between each addition. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fill each cupcake liner with 2 tablespoons of batter and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- When ready to frost, combine 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Using a knife or piping bag, ice each cupcake and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
Per serving: 230 calories, 10g fat, 5g saturated fat, 1.5g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 23g sugars, 2g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.