prep time: 45 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 15 minutes
makes: 8 servings
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 10 oz. package frozen chopped broccoli or spinach
- 15 oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green or red sweet pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried basil or oregano, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups fat free ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (8 oz.) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Cook noodles and broccoli separately according to package directions; drain well. Set aside.
- For sauce: in a large saucepan stir together tomato sauce, undrained diced tomatoes, celery, onion, sweet peppers, basil, bay leaves and garlic. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is thick, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
- Stir egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and black pepper together in a bowl. Stir in broccoli. Spread about 1/3 cup of the sauce in a 19x9x2-inch baking dish (3-quart glass casserole baking dish). Top with half of the noodles, half of the filling and half of the remaining sauce. Repeat layers, ending with the sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350 °F oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
per serving: 260 calories, 6g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 31g carbohydrates, 4g dietary fiber, 19g protein