prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 40 minutes
makes:: 6 servings, 4 pieces each
- 1 yukon gold potato, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups (approx. 1/2 lb) shredded zucchini
- 2 cups (approx. 1/2 lb) shredded yellow squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten plus 4 egg whites (3/4 cup liquid egg whites)
- 3 Tablespoons whole grain matzo meal
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- olive oil or cooking spray (depending on cooking method)
- Remove as much water as possible from the vegetables by pressing into a colander or using a cheesecloth to wring.
- Combine potato, zucchini, yellow squash and onion in a large bowl.
- Combine eggs and egg whites and add to vegetables.
- In a separate bowl combine matzo meal, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add dry ingredients to vegetables and mix well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Drop large spoonfuls of batter into skillet and press down to form 1/4-inch thick patties. Brown on both sides. Add more olive oil as needed for other batches. Drain on paper towel before serving.
- If baking: spray cooking oil on baking sheet. Bake patties for 8-10 minutes at 450°F. Spray latkes with olive oil and flip and bake for 8 more minutes
per serving: 120 calories, 4g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 14g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 7g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.