The Power of Purple
Eating a rainbow of fruits and veggies is always encouraged, so don’t let purple princesses get lost in the crowd of kale kings
The Power of Purple
Watch out green goddesses, because purple, the color of royalty is taking over the produce crown! Eating a rainbow of fruits and veggies is always encouraged, so don’t let purple princesses get lost in the crowd of kale kings. These purple gems get their glorious hue naturally from anthocyanins, a plant nutrient that can potentially provide a wealth of benefits. Research is showing that anthocyanins have antioxidant activity and may improve memory function, heart health, and healthy aging. Wondering how to paint your plate purple? Check out these trendy ideas:
Purple sweet potatoes
- Serve an elegant baked purple sweet potato topped with a spoonful of Greek yogurt and fresh chives
- Surprise your kids with fancy purple sweet potato fries sprinkled with sea salt
- Heat up date night with a creamy purple sweet potato bisque balanced with a kick of spice
- Incorporate into brownies for purple decadency with a bit of added nutrition
- Love cauliflower “rice”? Serve it up purple style!
- Roast a garlicky purple cauliflower and Brussels sprouts blend in the oven
- Beef up your plate with a purple cauliflower “steak” by cutting large flat slices off your head of cauliflower
- Make a purple cauliflower hummus with a splash of lemon to create a vibrant fuchsia shade
- Introduce purple asparagus to your grill and accompany it with a refreshing dill sauce
- Add drama to your salad with chopped purple asparagus drizzled with a citrus vinaigrette
- Switch up salsa with a refreshing crunch of purple asparagus
- Present savory bite sized purple asparagus flatbreads with feta cheese and olive oil at your next gathering
These are only a few stars on the purple platform! Explore varieties of purple carrots, peppers, and currants or try new adventures with more common purple produce like eggplant, cabbage, berries, or grapes. Plums are also a popular member of this royal family; let them rule the grill with this Beef and Plum Kabobs recipe.
Whether you want your dish to be dressed to impress at your next party or are just craving for some fun on your weekly dinner plate, get ready to experience the power of purple!